Lately, I have been getting a ton of the same question....... "Michelle, how do I get rid of the last 5 lbs".
I know how frustrating it can be to feel "stuck". You are working hard but you just can't seem to lose those last 5 lbs. So I am going to use my little sister (29, not so little) as an example.
Coco, has been running 3-4 times a week and she has made some really big changes in her diet which I am really proud of. This may be like you! You have started exercising and eating so much better and lost 10 lbs, but now you are stuck.
This is my beautiful sister
First of all, don't worry, be at ease, as you can TOTALLY get rid of those last 5 lbs.
In order to make a change in your body, you have to create a stimulus, you have to challenge it. In order to lose weight, you have to EXPEND (BURN) more calories than you CONSUME. Here's a good piece of information: 1 pound of fat is equal to 3,500 calories. So to lose 1 lb, you have to be in a 3,500 calorie deficit.
So you basically have 2 options:
- Eat better and less quantity.
- Exercise more.
For my sister, she has made some great changes in her diet. She no longer eats bread. She has oatmeal for breakfast (the flavor kind), she has salads for dinner, nuts for snacks, etc.
So what does she do now?
She has to step it up. She is definitely not eating perfect, so ask yourself..... honestly, what in your diet can you make some changes to eat healthier.
For my sister here are some changes she needs to make:
- Eat the plain oatmeal and add cinnamon instead of using the high sugar flavored oats.
- Add some protein to her breakfast (egg whites).
- Have a mid morning snack (protein shake, protein muffins, etc.)
- Instead of eating white rice at lunch, have extra vegetables.
- Drink more water.
Now if your diet is pretty good, maybe you need to burn some more calories. My sister says she is stuck and she can't lose those last 5 lbs, but all she is doing for exercise is running 3-4 times per week. Once she adds those 3 weight training workouts, which by the way she is doing my 30-Minute Workout Express, since she only has 30 minutes before she goes to work, she is going to be burning a ton more calories, plus she will be building lean and toned muscle which will help her burn even more fat.
I'm giving you these details about my awesome sis, so that you can learn from them. Because maybe you can relate to her or maybe you too, need to make some of these changes.
Here is another checklist of things to do to help you
Lose those last 5 lbs:
- Are you eating a small healthy meal every 3-4 hours?
- Does every meal include a lean protein, a healthy carb and a vegetable?
- Have you cut out all wheat products, dairy, processed fat and sugar?
- If your meals are good, have you decreased the serving sizes (as to decrease your caloric intake) FYI: only cut your calories by 200 at a time and make these changes weekly. Example: This week your averaging about 2,500 calories per day, next week you will average about 2,300 calories a day. You don't have to go nuts counting calories, just look at your portion sizes and cut them back by 1/4.
- Are you drinking half your body weight in lbs in ounces of water per day?
- Are you taking a multi-vitamin and fish oil?
- Are you drinking a post-workout protein shake immediately after workouts?
- Are you doing 3 weight training workouts per week?
- Are your cardio workouts interval workouts (they burn more fat)?
If you make all the changes that I listed above and you apply the principles I just went over in my sisters example. I promise, you will LOSE THE LAST 5 LBS.
P.S. Thanks to all my BeFit Moms, you guys have been emailing me with your amazing results of weight loss (averaging 2-5 lbs a week). I love that you are loving all the yummy and healthy recipes. Keep it up! I love this program, its definitely the best program I have out now. If you haven't checked it out, check it out here.
Check out what this BeFit Moms said:
Keep posting all your success stories and questions on My Facebook, I love reading them and answering them.
Also, thanks for REPINNING ALL my Recipes and Workout Videos. I love Pinterest, isn't it awesome. I love pinning all my healthy recipes and workouts on My Pinterest Boards, and I love seeing your boards as well.
Are you trying to lose weight and feel stuck? How much weight do you want to lose?